Where ever we look in the world, it’s all doom and disaster, isn’t it.
Or is it? You see, whilst bad news sells (and sells by the bucket-load), when we take a moment to stop and think, we realise that there are so many good things going on in the world, all the time; if only we would pause a moment to think about them and savour the realisation that the world is actually a wonderful place full of amazing people, how much happier we might be in our everyday lives.
Did you realise that right now…
- Last year someone suffered a major injury, and today they are back on their feet.
- A small team are designing something which will soon make the impossible suddenly possible.
- One of the next chart-topping artists is patiently rehearsing in their bedroom.
- A friend is helping a friend overcome thoughts of suicide.
- Someone somewhere is thinking exactly what you are thinking; like you, they have not yet said anything either.
- Somewhere someone is watching a gorgeous sunset, and elsewhere someone is enjoying a beautiful sunrise.
- People of various religious backgrounds are in temples, churches, mosques and other places of worship praying, wholeheartedly, for world peace.
- Someone who has faced major problems with their weight for years is standing on their scales and smiling.
- Hundreds of couples are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary.
- A future world leader is in school facing the same things you did.
- Somewhere there is a child who is studying as hard as they can, for they dream of getting to where you are in life.
- A fire-fighter is running into a burning building to rescue a complete stranger.
- Someone in your neighbourhood genuinely wants to be your friend.
- There is someone who is thinking of a particular moment they shared with you, and smiling at that thought.
- An alcoholic just celebrated one full year of sobriety.
- Two teenagers just had their very first kiss ever, together.
- A couple who were drowning in debt five years ago now have cleared all of their credit cards and are breathing a sigh of relief.
- Someone is hugging a friend who desperately needs it.
- A small group of friends are sitting around a table sharing funny stories and cheerfully reminiscing about the good old days.
- A breast cancer patient just found out her cancer is in complete remission.
- Someone out there is missing you and is really looking forward to your next visit.
- Someone is holding the door open for the person behind them.
In amongst the gloom, despair and despondency, there is much beauty, happiness, joy and wonder to be found if only we would open our eyes for a moment and watch for it.
So today, instead of looking at all the bad things going on, why not take a little time to watch for the good things; they may be big, they may be small, but they are there. And the interesting thing is that the more we look for them, the more we’ll find them.